PowerApps Use Cases
PowerApps Use Cases. PowerApps, Power BI & Microsoft Flow for operational process optimization, project management and sales tracking.
What is PowerApps?
Before we deep dive into the real PowerApps use case, it is important to understand what PowerApps really is.
Imagine that you are finally have decided on an app idea that will automate your manual tasks or will help your colleagues to manage some of the important processes. Immediately some questions may arise:
- Who and how will create and design my apps user interface?
- How to integrate my app with other applications and the company environment?
- What kind of team do you need to go live with your app?
- How long does this take from idea to production implementation?
- On what devices I will be able to use my new app?
Thanks to PowerApps you can easily answer all of the above questions. While you will want an app developer to help you polish the whole thing off, PowerApps makes app design and testing easier.
PowerApps user-friendly platform is designed to help users quickly create simple apps that are able to automate some of the tasks and it to communicate in a direct way with other devices and application.
Project description – PowerApps and Power BI Use Case:
Poland-based company specializes in comprehensive physical and electronic records management, offering support throughout the entire document lifecycle. Their operations are scoped out into the following few service areas. Scanning and indexing digitization of paper documents, document storage and management, document and media shredding and destruction.
With help of Addepto consultants company has adopted the Power Platform (PowerApps, Power BI & Microsoft Flow) for several use cases across the business.
Addepto customer decided to use the Power Platform for tracking sign-offs during the operational process of document digitization, managing sales quotes, tracking and sending notifications about problems in the whole document digitalization and shredding process and many more.
The data for these apps is stored in SharePoint or in their accounting software which is based on Microsoft Dynamics GP. The Power Platform solution has replaced the old paper-based process.
- The project involved 6 people from Addepto and the customer’s teams. The project team consisted of BI architect, Power App developer and business users and IT department from the customer side.
- The main operation process was automated using PowerApps, Microsoft Flow and Power BI (description below).
Technology and solution
We started from a PowerApps solution to digitize the whole inside company document flow.
Documents have traveled within different units of organization and were signed and checked by different persons responsible for their fields such as document digitization and document shredding after.
The main document traveling management app allows for Project Managers and stakeholders to view all active projects with particular clients, view a set of key statistics, and manage the schedules and calendars.
Our team has created multiple document and data flows to automate backend document and data processing jobs.
One of these flows for example is used to generate a report that is then printed and shipped along with the Company’s unit right to the customer.
The flow is triggered when an item modified in the SharePoint list meets several conditions – status field, project specifics entered, schedules for different phases, dates etc.).
Once the condition is met, it then triggers the following actions:
- Get the SharePoint and data source list item that meet particular conditions
- Put all the needed information and data into a Word template that was previously created and saved inside sharepoint
- Generate PDF file from automatically populate MS Word document
- Attach the PDF file in the right customer’s folder and project
Power BI dashboards are used to visualize several key metrics across sales and project statuses and document flow processes.
Data came from as well as financial systems and this one was created from PowerApps. It was presented using comprehensive visualizations and shared with the project management department as well as with the executive management team.
There are plenty of benefits when it comes to using PowerApps with other Microsoft technologies and infrastructure. The most valuable benefit is flexibility.
PowerApps can be integrated and used with a number of the platforms used by your company. That means that the end-users are able to mix and match platforms in a way that is more efficient for you and your team.
PowerApps also makes the design process one that anyone can be a part of.
Now the Company was able to track sales and operational process metrics in one place. It helped them improve customer servicing level and increase margins on different process phases.
- Business departments have at their disposal a tool that integrates various data sources and presents conclusions in one convenient interface (UI),
- The time needed to analyze and check whole process is reduced,
- The implemented system saves working time thanks to the daily information processing of tens of thousands of data records,
- The efficiency and performance of the sales department has been improved by increasing the level of automation in the company,
If you want to discover customer retention examples – read our article on how to increase customer retention.